The Village of Sloothby
Sloothby is a small village to the south-east of Willoughby on the road towards
Chapel St Leonards. It lies roughly five miles from the Lincolnshire Wolds in an area of
flat marshland. The village consists of approximately 50 houses which
are home to around 100 people. The only shops in the village cater for
ice cream sales, antiques and second hand goods. There are several farms
close by and a small church that is occasionally used for functions.
The picture shows one entry to the village and on the left can be seen the old Wesleyan chapel
which was built around 1890. It was last used for worship at the time of the coronation of
Queen Elizabeth in 1954. The building was sold by the Methodist Circuit in 1955
it was sold and
used for storing and welding farm machinery. It has recently been sold again and is presently,
( Circa 2009), undergoing refurbishment by its new owner.