The Calcewaithe and Candleshoe Deanery Church Trail


Church Trail logoFirst time visitors to Lincolnshire are often amazed at the number and size of many of our churches.

We still have over 650 church buildings, many of them Grade 1 or Grade 2* listed, and this trail has been put together to enable you so see just a few of those in East Lindsey. We hope that you will enjoy your time visiting and looking at what each individual building has to offer but please remember these buildings have witnessed many events over their history and are still being used for the purpose for which they were built - the worship of Almighty God.


As you leave we hope you will remember us in your prayers, and you will be very welcome to join us in our worship.


Churches on the Trail - (View Map)

St Matthew, Skegness
Blessed Virgin Mary, Winthorpe
St Peter & St Paul, Ingoldmels
St Nicholas, Addlethorpe
St Thomas of Canterbury, Mumby
St Helena, Willoughby
St Peter, Gunby
St Peter & St Paul, Bratoft
St Peter & St Paul, Burgh-Le-Marsh
St Mary Parish Church, Wainfleet
All Saints Parish Church, Croft

St Matthew, Skegness St. Matthew, Skegness

This is a big church, but more impressive inside than out. It was intended to be the focal point of the new resort planned by the Earl of Scarbrough. St. Matthew's was designed by James Fowler of Louth, and consecrated in 1884, although the tower and spire originally planned was never built because of unsuitable foundations. The church has a very fine organ, and there is an attractive St. Francis window designed by Sir Ninian Comper, as well as another by Harry Stammers which depicts the unusual subject of the end of the parable of the Prodigal Son.
Open every weekday morning. ( Top ↑ )



Blessed Virgin Mary, Winthorpe Blessed Virgin Mary, Winthorpe

Winthorpe church is of 14th and 15th century date, and typical of the Lincolnshire marsh. According to an eroded inscription, the south porch was given by a donor who died in 1520. Inside there is a wealth of original 15th century woodwork, richly carved. On one bench end is a depiction of the legend of St. Hubert and the stag. The church has a fascinating array of furnishings and detail - original screens, two 16th century brasses, a Spanish altarpiece, weird and wonderful roof bosses and carved heads (including green men), pieces of medieval glass, the head of the old churchyard cross, and four early bells.
The key is available from Pendle Cottage, next to the pub opposite the church. ( Top ↑ )


St Peter & St Paul, Ingoldmels St. Peter & St. Paul, Ingoldmells

A church with many naval connections. It contains a 1999 stained glass Window dedicated to H.M.S Royal Arthur Association and a Pulpit donated by the Norwegian Navy. There are also carvings of ships on the pews. It has a very old palm tree growing near the south porch and also has a peal of eight very beautiful bells. This 12 century church has many hidden attractions that can only be found by a visit.
When closed, the key can be obtained by following the directions on the church door. ( Top ↑ )


St Nicholas, Addlethorpe St. Nicholas, Addlethorpe

Known as The Cathedral of the Marshes, St Nicholas Church is 14 Century. One of its many attractions is the carved woodwork on the screens and pew ends and roof bosses. The outside masonry is an array of figures and its perpendicular architecture makes it stand out for miles around.
The key holder lives 200 yards from church. Directions are on the church door. ( Top ↑ )


St Thomas of Canterbury, Mumby St. Thomas of Canterbury, Mumby

The church of St. Thomas of Canterbury is a beautiful early English style church which stands proud and dominating in the centre of the village. The present church dates back to the 15th century, although there are remains of an earlier church of the 12th century. Of late the church serves a dual purpose with the community.

Rehoberth Robinson, Master Mariner, who went searching for Sir John Franklin, explorer of Spilsby, was the last survivor of that expedition 1852-1854 and is buried at Mumby.

Inside is a carving of the "Barred Lady". There are 21 of these carvings documented, some with bands across the nose and others across the mouth. Their meaning is unknown Some say they may represent witches, death or some kind of torture. Though it could be a helmet of some kind indicating a warrier.
Directions for Key holder are in the church porch. ( Top ↑ )


St Helena, Willoughby St. Helena, Willoughby

A pretty little village on the edge of the Wolds, three miles south east of Alford, Willoughby has its place in history. With evidence of Bronze Age and Roman ocupation, and of a church since the Domesday book, (though the present one is 14th century). John Smith, born here, sailed for America in 1606 and was responsible for the original colony's survival. The story of John Smith and the Virginia Company is dramatic and depicted in the windows of St. Helena's Church. John Smith connects Willoughby with Pocahontas, John Rolfe and the whole early American settlement, even with the Pilgrim Fathers.
The church is open during daylight hours. ( Top ↑ )


St Peter, Gunby St. Peter, Gunby

Gunby is an estate village with a population of only 30. The present church was built in 1868 by James Fowler and contains two important brasses, one to Sir Thomas Massingberd (1552) and the other to William Lodynton (1420). Nearby Gunby Hall is in the care of the National Trust but the church still belongs to the village.

The Church is open on Wednesday & Thursday afternoons when the hall is open. At other times the key can be obtained from the hall. ( Top ↑ )



St Peter & St Paul, Bratoft. St. Peter & St. Paul, Bratoft

A perpendicular church with a brick tower built in 1747. The nave, clerestory, aisles and chancel were rebuilt in 1890 as a memorial to the late Mr C.J.Massingberd, Lord of the Manor. There are some good poppy-head bench ends, including heads, birds, angels etc. and above the tower arch hangs a painting of the defeat of the Spanish Armada by Robert Stephenson. The Reverend Thomas Scott, who wrote a commentary on the Bible was born in Bratoft on 16th February 1747.
The Church is open during the day. ( Top ↑ )


St Peter & St Paul, Burgh-Le-Marsh St. Peter & St. Paul, Burgh Le Marsh

Burgh is a small town with a market granted in 1401. There were formerly two churches, but no traces remain of St Mary's. The present church was built in the 14th century in the perpendicular style. Inside there is some good woodwork including a fine Jacobean Pulpit, placed in the Church in 1623 in memory of John Holden who was a generous benefactor and who died in 1503. The lectern was carved and made by Jabez Good, a barber and taxidermist living in Burgh. It is a memorial to William George Tozer, one time Vicar of Burgh & Winthorpe who became Bishop to Central Africa.
The Church is open during the day. ( Top ↑ )


St Mary Parish Church, Wainfleet St. Mary, Wainfleet

A rich worship tradition continues in this impressive survivor of a deserted medieval settlement. Isolated and sheltered by trees, it has a special kind of peace. Much fine work from many ages reflects the essence of its original 12th century construction. The tower includes a Norman base with early English lancet windows and blank arcading.
Directions for the Key holder are in the church porch.
( Top ↑ )


All Saints Parish Church, Croft

This splendid Marshland greenstone church is spacious and light, mainly Decorated and Perpendicular in style. It contains much interesting woodwork - 15th century pews, carvings, the south door inscribed "God Save the King 1633". There is also a fine Jacobean pulpit from 1615 and a memorial to a doctor now "eaten by worms" - in Latin. Kilvert was here.
Directions for the Key holder are in the church porch. ( Top ↑ )



Map of the Deanery Trail Churches